Blockchain for Sustainability Database
Discover innovative blockchain companies that are enabling projects with positive ESG/ SDG outcomes.
Blockchain for Sustainability Database
*The number of projects per year are skewed towards 2022, because we have started tracking this information from April 2022. As we continue to classify projects previous years, those numbers might also start to increase.
You can join our Blockchain for Sustainability journey
- Weekly newsletter summarizing new blockchain for sustainability projects
- Ability to comment on the newsletter and engage with our team
- All features of the Stay Aware plan
- Access to all previous newsletters starting April 2022
- Fundraising update newsletter every fortnight
- All features of the Track plan
- Access to the Blockchain for Sustainability Database with 260+ projects
- Find, Search, Sort, and Filter, based on Industry, Geography, ESG, and SDG Focus.
- Monthly report on the State of Blockchain for Sustainability.
- All features of the Analyze plan
- Full access to Blockchain for Sustainability database
- Access profiles of all companies involved in projects
- Identify key decision makers at these companies
- Identify investors that are investing in blockchain and sustainability themes
Why Blockchain for Sustainability?
With features such as decentralization, immutability, transparency, and programmable trust (through smart contracts), blockchain technology can take sustainability monitoring and reporting to the next level, and facilitate thousands of small businesses that fall in the ‘nth tiers’ of complex global supply chains to report their sustainability performance. The impact of these businesses has been collectively classified as scope 3 (in reference to emissions), for which no one seems to be responsible, however, according to Deloitte, for most businesses this impact is 70% of their overall impact. This itself is an opportunity big enough to look at the opportunity that blockchain can unlock.
In addition, blockchain-based networks are allowing several sustainability-focused businesses to verify and monetize their sustainability efforts, which will go a long way in strengthening the sustainability ecosystems.
As we started to look at enterprise blockchain projects through a sustainability lens, we have been positively surprised by the different ways by which small and big organizations from across the world, are using the technology to create a positive sustainability impact. If you believe that blockchain technology can make the sustainability journey easy, you can access our weekly findings by subscribing to our Weekly Blockchain for Sustainability Updates.
Which Companies Are Driving Blockchain for Sustainability?
The blockchain for sustainability movement is gaining momentum, due to a triple push by government, enterprises, and technology companies. On one hand, enterprises are striving to explore new ways to reduce their environmental footprints; strengthen their stakeholder management with employees, customers, and suppliers; and make their governance practices more robust. This is coinciding with policy measures taken by government agencies and regulators directed toward achieving sustainable development goals agreed upon at the Paris Summit 2015. However, the catalyst here is innovative technology vendors that are using the inherent benefits of blockchain technology to design enterprise solutions that help enterprises achieve their ESG goals and governments make progress towards SDG goals
Our Methodology of Tracking Blockchain for Sustainability Projects
- The blockchain for sustainability database benefits from our comprehensive blockchain intelligence methodology that helps us track news related to new enterprise blockchain projects initiated across industries and geographies. For this, we deploy a twin approach of tracking several industry-specific news sources every week and conducting a thorough google news search.
- The new projects every week are added to our enterprise blockchain adoption database.
- For qualifying projects that are to be added to the blockchain for sustainability database, our team screens each project through two filters:
- ESG filter: We evaluate if the objective of the project could create a positive ESG impact for the company undertaking the project or its stakeholders. For this, we consider 20+ parameters such as GHG emissions, energy efficiency, biodiversity, circular economy, diversity, responsible supply chain, community development, cybersecurity, and privacy management, among others.
- SDG filter: We also compare the objectives of the project with the objectives of 17 SDGs to see if they align.
- If the project has a positive mapping with any ESG or SDG parameter, it is added to our database.
- Apart from creating a project summary that outlines the ESG or SDG focus of the project and the intended benefits of the project, we also profile the companies involved in that project, so that impact investors can identify investment opportunities and corporations can find potential vendors to further their sustainability journeys.